Sunday, December 21, 2014

As a deputy's wife, I shall not be silent

In 2014 there were 113 officers killed in the line of duty.  We can add two more to that number due to the recent events in New York. In 2013, there were around 51,000 recorded assaults and of those around 14,000 had injuries (nleomf.org). Does the public hear of this information? No!  Before, I met my husband I had no clue exactly what officers dealt with on a 12hr shift. I knew they had to deal with bad guys and  stop crime, but I never really thought in depth about just what they had to do. I think most of the public has this same thought process. We just don't know what they have to do in a 12hr shift.

Due to the recent events that are happening in America I believe it is time I share my new views. Do I think all cops are racist? Absolutely not!! There might indeed be some out there but I would say majority of officers are not. I think most have a good heart and want to help make our country a safer place. Why would they risk their life each day fighting for what they believe if they did not care? In fact I do believe that because of the recent events happening in America, a Caucasian male cop is at risk. This is so scary to me because that is my husband. His job gets more dangerous each day. So before you start bashing the police think twice. If it wasn't for them you would have to: fight off that man that is beating you till your black and blue, that rapist would go unknown, that child would stay lost unless you could find them yourself, your elderly family member who has memory loss would have to be found by you, that drunk driver who crashed into your car and injured you or hurt one of your loved ones would get away without any consequence, that person who came in and robbed you of your things wouldn't be caught, that person who shot someone you loved will walk away and not have any consequence, and that suspicious vehicle that is following you won't get stopped. You see, law enforcement has to come in contact with this everyday. So the next time you need to pick up the phone and call 911 because you are being harmed, someone you love has been harmed or someone is taking your stuff remember that is someone's husband, daddy, brother, uncle, wife, mommy, sister, daughter or son that you are calling.

So think twice and thank a cop.

No comments: