Well I arrived in lima safely today at 5 am peru time which means about 6 am north carolina time. Thank you to those who kept me and my team in their prayers when on the bus ride. Luckly we made it out of the danger zone before midnight. The national strike is on tuesday or wednesday and there will be no transportation. Scary stuff. God is definitely protecting us. Please be in prayer for one of my team members. Here name is rebekah and she is really sick. About four days ago we broke two of the main rules. The rules were not to eat anything out of the ground and not to eat anything that has not been properly cleaned. One day we were working in the fields digging up oka again and victor gave us this really good fruit. We cut it however with the same knive that they use to clean lamb's with. Then we ate some of the oka right out of the ground. I was a little sick on the bus ride back to lima, but poor rebekah is extremely sick. She is still sick today and hasn't been able to eat or drink much. So please be in prayer for her. Now about my last days in recuay....
Most of you probably will not be able to understand this because you have not experienced what i have experienced and this is what God has called me to do with my life. Leaving recuay was one of the hardest things i have had to do. It was beginning to feel like home. This is probably because it is in the mountains, a farming community, a spanish culture and is filled with wonderful people who are so hungry. My last week in Recuay was amazing. God filled it with opportunity after opportunity. We were even able to start a pie discipleship. We would make lemon pies and take them to some of the people that we had met. This was a wonderful opportunity because we were able to share christ with the people through giving the pies. We were able to talk with a man that was an extreme catholic and witness to him. We talked with one family that said they would never forget us and they would always remember us as the gringitas that opened up their hearts to them.
We had no idea that we had made such an impact on the people in the city until we had to tell them that we were leaving a few days earlier. Many offered to open their homes up to us and that when we return we can stay with them. One woman in particular we really had no idea we had made an impact. We went into her store and told her the news and instantly she began to cry. She told us not to leave to stay. This broke my heart. I didn't no what to do. I don't like to cry in front of people and I kept telling myself not to cry, but i did. Then we told the teacher that we had witnessed to and he became really sad. he wanted us to stay and teach his classroom some about what we had shared with him. The hardest thing was telling Humberta (a translator that our church uses often). She was really sad and wanted to call our leader right away. She said that we were like her daughters and that she didn't want us to leave. Her sons were extremely sad as well. They both had crushes on rebekah and I, which was funny. I guess working in the woods with them made a impact...haha. Okay seriously it was sad. Our last day in recuay was a sad one. We had a bible study and then made a pie for humberta and her sons. The whole day Isolina was with us. She was very upset and didn't want us to leave. Then we went and had lunch with Humberta and her sons. It was amazing...the food. We gave Humberta our pie pan and it was one that she had been wanting. She was so excited to receive it. it was like 23 soles which is about 9 usd and that is expensive to them. It was really touching to see this and it made me realize how spoiled we are in america. Then we went to a soccer game and then we had to leave. Leaving Victor and his family I do have to say was the hardest. He gave each of us a chapter in the bible and the reason that he was giving it to us. On our ride out of the city we were listening to the song by the Beatles called "yesterday." The driver wanted to know what it meant. I lost it. You know in the song it talks about longing for yesterday, wanting to know why the girl has to leave. The kids were running after us wanting to know as well as many others. I left part of my heart in Recuay. God has a plan and he is so much bigger though and one day I do believe that he will allow me to go back there.
Please be in prayer for me though. When I am in Lima I kinda get homesick because I am not much of a city girl. Also, I still haven't been able to memorize my stories. No one really has. Also be in prayer that we will be safe to, there and from the jungle. Also my birthday is next Monday while I am in the jungle so pray that I will not get sick, but that God will use me. I love you all and thank you so much.
2 comments:
Hey Running Girl,
We are praying for a hedge of protection around your caravan. Remember that God will never leave you, that He has a plan. You are doing a wonderful work and I am enjoying your blogs as well as your Mom's devotional book, what an amazing woman!! Just a little yeast makes the whole batch rise!! You are the yeast!!
In Christ, Kelly
Hey Abby!
I am at the beach but a friend from Greensboro forwarded me an email about the strikes. I am praying for you now and I know God is going to take care of you.
I look forward to seeing you when you get back and hearing about your trip!
Remember this verse: Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, he whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee."
Love you girl,
Holly
Post a Comment