Friday, May 23, 2008

Just So you Know

Well, I am still new at this whole blogging thing, but I thought I would give it a try and have it for my family and friends for all of my adventures. I chose "Where's Abigail?" because well right now I am at that point in my life where I want to start following the will of God. Last year was the first time in my life where I had truly started following the will of God. I wanted to quit being like Jonah. So I stopped running from the mission field and I embraced it full force. Last year I was able to go to Ecuador for 2 weeks and it truly changed my life.

Ecuador was an adventure all in itself. I had been putting it off for so long and then I finally stopped running. I knew that I needed to get there before the rest of my team arrived. So a friend and I talked and decided that we would go early so that way we could help translate. Well the night we got online to get our ticket, we had problem after problem. I held myself together pretty well, but then that night I lost it. I couldn't sleep and I started to question my whole point of going on the trip. Then I was reminded of many verses in Isaiah where God is reminding his people that he will comfort them in all areas of life. The day I left for Ecuador, I had so much peace. I knew I was doing the right thing and I was so happy. The night I arrived in Quito was amazing. The missionaries that I stayed with welcomed me with warm hugs and a kiss on the cheek. That night however I became really sick. And with sickness comes homesickness. I became so homesick. I didn't want to stay anymore, I wanted to come home. I was ready and I had already made my plan....it would cost cheaper to fly out on a saturday rather than a sunday. So I called up my mom and told her I was coming home. She told me that I wasn't and that I had to stay. (I was mad when she told me that too) Then she said something that really stuck with me....she asked me...."Abigail why are you there? Why did you decide to go?" It was then that I realized that I had forgotten my whole meaning of going. I had let satan get in the way of God's plan for me. I was trying to be in control and I wasn't letting God have any part of it. She then told me to listen to my MP3 player and to listen to the song "Hold On" by 33miles. That song is awesome and it helped me continue on my adventure. The best part is that I did hold on, I hung up that phone prayed and had several other people pray for me both in english and in spanish. I let God control my life and I am so glad I did. Ecuador changed my life. I would have missed out on so much. I was able to meet some amazing people that became lifelong friends that to this day keep in touch with me.

Ecuador also allowed me to see into a little of what God has called me to do with my life. I knew I was called to be a spanish teacher and I knew that he had given me a heart for the spanish people and a heart for missions. He revealed to me in a special way, just for me, that I was doing what he wanted me to do. I was in this little village called Tres vidas and he told me that "Abigail this is what I want you to do, see you can do it."

Ecuador was just a small adventure of this huge adventure we call life.....

No comments: